How to print; how to release a print job (Pay-for-Print)
Pay-for-Print printers limitations
Pay-for Print printers are set up for business-quality printing and should be used for draft-quality color printing.
- Duplex printing (two-sided printing) is unavailable.
- Printers are calibrated for specific type of paper, and under NO circumstances different paper or any other materials should be placed into the printers. These objects may jam and damage the printer’s inner components.
Use PrintFX and FabLab services for special and portfolio-quality printing.
Prepare your document for printing
Use print preview before printing and carefully select your page size, margins, layout, and pages you wish to print. (Tech Tip: Preparing a print for B&W on a Mac)
Save the document you wish to print to the desktop or documents folder. DO NOT print from external storage or a web browser.
Note: Files saved to local storage computer desktops and document folders are removed every 24 hours. Be sure to save documents for later use to cloud storage such as your Google Drive or Adobe Cloud Storage.
Prepare carefully before printing because you will be charged for all print jobs you release.
The cost to print is:
$0.10 per page for B&W prints
$0.90 per page for Color prints
Send document to print release station
You must be logged into the computer to use the funds on your account and access documents sent to the release station.
- Do not use a computer logged in by another guest; log the computer out and sign in with your credentials.
- There is no printing from personal devices (laptops, phones, etc.)
When you are ready to print, be mindful of the Printer selection.
- Printers with PFP_BW = Black and White printing
- Printers with PFP_Color = Color printing
Example on Mac computer
Example on Windows computer
Go to a Print Release Station
Print Release Stations are located in the Computer Commons CC15 and the Library. There is signage posted to indicate the location or you can ask a lab monitor for assistance.
To release your print job and pay for your prints, press any key on the keyboard or move the mouse at the Print Release station.
Enter your FIT Username in the Logon ID field
Enter your FIT Password in the Password field
Click the Logon button
Swipe your FIT ID
You will be directed by the Card Logon screen to “Please swipe your card”
You will find the card reader attached to the monitor or near the keyboard at the Print Release Station.
Follow the instructions on the card reader, swiping the ID with the magnetic stripe towards the green sensor light.
Release Print Jobs
Select a job by clicking on the Job Name you wish to print. Review the details upon selection.
- Sheets – Specifies the total number of pieces of paper required to print the job(s)
- Cost – Specifies how much your account will be charged for printing the job(s)
- Balance – Displays the amount on your account. Tech Tip: If the balance is in parentheses ( ) then the balance is a negative number. Your balance must be a positive number that covers your job order.
Once you are confident in your selection click Print. Proceed to the appropriate printer to pick up your print outs.
Tips and Troubleshooting
Canceling a Print Job
Print jobs are not released until after you have entered your network password at the print release station and selected which jobs you wish to release. Jobs that have not been released within 10 hours will be deleted from the printer queue. If you wish, you may select the job from the Print Release Station and select Delete.
We make every effort to keep the printers in good working order; however if you receive pages that are of poor quality due to low toner or other printer malfunctions. Please inform the technician/lab monitor on duty, who will either re-print for you at that time, or will help you to fill out and submit a Refund Request Form; a refund will be credited to your account.
Pay-for Print printers are set up for business-quality printing and should be used for draft-quality color printing. Any special printing and portfolio-quality printing can be done in PrintFX.