SUNY has reported that users at many colleges that use Blackboard are receiving emails similar to the one below, trying to get them to download course notes.
“Hey guys, I just found some really helpful notes for the upcoming exams for FIT courses at https://oneclass.com/s/signup. I highly recommend signing up for an account now that way your first download is free!”
If you click on the link, a malicious Chrome extension will be loaded onto your computer. This extension will steal information from your computer such as usernames and passwords, and will also email other students from your email account.
What can you do to protect yourself?
Do not click on the link. If you receive this email, use the process in Gmail to report it as phishing. Or, just delete it.
If you already did click on the link, follow these steps to remove the extension:
- Open up your Chrome Browser
- Select the 3 vertical dots in the top right-hand corner
- Select Settings
- Select Extensions in the top left-hand corner
- Click the Trashcan beside the “OneClass Easy Invite” extension
- Select Remove on the Confirm Removal Popup
- Close all Chrome windows and quit the Chrome browser.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to verify the extension has been removed (Steps 1-4)
- Change your FIT password as a precaution.
Questions? Comments? Email TechHelp@fitnyc.edu or call 212 217.HELP (4357).