On November 7th, 2016 Google began a gradual rollout of an updated Gmail app for iOS. The updated app will include new features and bug fixes.
What this means for you:
- If you already have the Gmail app installed on your iPhone or iPad — you can continue to use the existing app until you choose to update.
- New look: iOS experience now resembles Andriod
- Undo Send: prevent embarrassing mistakes
- Search: find things faster with instant results and spelling suggestions
- Swipe to archive/delete: quickly clear out your inbox
The Division of Information Technology reviewed and tested the new app for iOS for FIT email. Our experience has been positive with the upgrade. One tester found that a couple of old emails came to their inbox, but no other tester reported that or any other bug.
If you wish to use the swipe function to archive or delete messages, you will have to choose which method you prefer in your settings. By default, accounts were set to archive, and you can switch this to delete messages by going to Settings in your the Gmail app.